ollowing the mass sacking of workers at Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti and Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital in December last year, fear has gripped workers in ministries, departments, and agencies in the state.

The fear was expressed in a letter by the organised labour in the state – the Nigeria Labour Congress, Trade Union Congress and Joint Negotiating Councils – to the state governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, which expressed worries that plans were allegedly on to extend the action at EKSU and EKSUTH to MDAs.

Reports have it that no fewer than 1000 workers were sacked in the two organisations.

TUC State Chairman, Sola Adigun, who expressed labour’s disapproval of what it called “arbitrary sack of its members,” said the letter was expedient owing to the insinuation that Fayemi was not aware of the mass sacking in EKSU and EKSUTH.

According to the letter dated January 3, 2020, addressed to Governor Fayemi, which was jointly signed by the NLC Secretary, Taiwo Akinyemi; his TUC counterpart, Kuloogun Lawrence; and JNC scribe, Gbenga Olowoyo, labour appealed to Fayemi to rise to the occasion, redress any injustice over the sacked ones and stop further disengagement of workers.

The letter reads in part, “The organized labour is seriously concerned with information milling rounds that the current sacking, compulsory and untimely retirement of workers, is a whirlwind that will soon blow across the entire workforce in the state.

“We don’t want to believe the rumours peddling around that the state government wants to have mass disengagement of workers that have two or three more years in the public service of Ekiti State.

“These developments, which have started causing disquiet and uneasy calm among the workforce in Ekiti State, require Mr Governor’s quick and fatherly intervention. It is expedient and imperative to remind His Excellency of his commitment that he will not allow anything untoward to affect the workforce in Ekiti State and your promise during inauguration that you are back as a healing balm on a painful wound.

“It is informative to bring to the notice of your esteemed office that the recent sacking scenario happening around various sectors is not only worrisome, but also calls for serious attention because of the image that the development is attracting to our dear state as well as the government of the day.However, Ekiti State Commissioner for Information, Muyiwa Olumilua, said he had no information to the effect of the rumoured mass sacking across MDAs, saying he had also heard of it as rumour, adding, “If I have any information I will let you know”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here